While shopping for a new alarm and security system, you have to decide if you want a fully fledged home monitoring system to prevent break-ins, or simply a security camera to capture suspicious movement in and around your home. In this article, we will explore both alarm and security systems and how they can benefit you.
Security System Features To Consider
The cost of an alarm system depends on a few factors. The four basic things that play into the cost include the installation costs, subscription costs, equipment costs, and municipal fees. However, also keep in mind that some home insurance providers offer up to 20 percent discounts for homes with security alarm systems installed.
Although many home security companies require a signed contract, many are lenient and even offer discounted equipment with one. Without a contract, you should expect equipment costs to be much higher without the benefit of free installation.
The two main types of installation consist of professional and DIY (Do-It-Yourself).
- Professional Installation: Since more complex home security systems require hard wiring setups, a professional is required to install it. Unfortunately, this usually comes with a large upfront cost of up to $500. However, some companies offer discounts to new customers.
- DIY: Home security systems that allow the consumer to do-it-themselves are often easy to install and can be setup within minutes.
- Broadband: Security monitoring through broadband is one of the most expensive types and offer the least secure connection.
- Landline: Home security systems that are monitored through a land line require a home phone line. However, this can off less security if burglars cut your phone line. Plus, you will also need to purchase a backup battery system in case of power outages.
- Cellular: One of the most secure ways to set up monitoring with your home security system is cellular since your service is wireless. This way, your connection is still good even if you have an Internet or power outage.
Since most affordable home security systems only offer the basics, you’ll most likely want to add on features such as additional coverage to your home’s doors and windows, as well as improved equipment coverage in case it gets damaged.
Home automation is a new, up and coming technology that everyone is trying to get their hands on, however, you will have to pay extra to get in on this exclusive service. But, if may be worth it since automation can help run your house cheaper and more efficiently.
- Automated Security: You can function your lights, locks, home electronics all through your smartphone or tablet using automated technology.
- Energy Savings: Different features of home automation lets you change your home’s temperatures via thermostat, turn your lights on/off, adjust your shades, etc. to help you save on your energy bill.
- Monitor Your Family: Thanks to home automation, you can see when your children get home from work, and make sure they are doing their homework.
A variety of different home security companies allows their customers to use websites and smartphone apps to monitor their home’s alarm themselves, along with managing their home’s automation.
Types Of Alarm Systems
Basic Protection: This type of security system offers 24/7 monitoring and contact with police and fire.
Advanced Security: An advanced alarm system takes into account more factors when protecting your home. They provide fire and police contact, as well as monitoring for environmental hazards, gas leaks, carbon monoxide, and other life safety and medical alerts.
Home Automation: This type of service is generally included with your regular security package for an additional fee. Home automation is used to control certain aspects of your home like electronic locks.
Top Seven Best Rated Home Alarm & Security Systems
Vector Security was founded as part of the Philadelphia Contributionship in 1752. They provide security systems and home automation services to both residential and commercial properties all through North America.
Link Interactive offers DIY alarm systems that provide cellular monitoring and a 24/7 monitoring station. With their system, you can keep watch over your home with just your cell phone.
SafeStreetsUSA is the largest authorized dealer and installer of ADT monitored security systems. ADT has been keeping homes and businesses safe ever since 1874.
FrontPoint sells home security systems that can be operated and monitored remotely by the homeowners themselves.
In 1923, Slomin’s Alarm Systems was created. They provide home security, heating, and cooling services for homeowners across the Eastern US.
This is one of the world’s biggest private home security providers. Guardian Protection Services was created in 1950 and has been offering remote video surveillance and security services ever since.
ADT Security Systems is one of the most well-known security companies in the country. Since 1874, they have been providing security monitoring and technology to business owners and home owners alike.